We encourage young people in their mid-late teens to become involved in coaching, and we encourage local hockey programs to engage these young people in their coaching ranks, using the guidelines below. For the protection of all participants, the following requirements have been adopted by USA Hockey and Michigan Amateur Hockey to ensure a safe and rewarding experience.
Student Coach (Definition)
A player between the ages of 13 and 17 who is currently properly registered with USA Hockey.
- Must attend a training session conducted by the local hockey association Coaching Director.
- Must always be under the supervision of a certified, screened, adult coach during all practices, clinics, try-outs, and in the locker room.
- May help out at practices, clinics, try-outs only.
- May not participate in scrimmages or games as a Student Coach (can not play and coach on same team).
- May not act as an assistant or head coach during practices or games.
- May be on the bench during games.
- Must wear a helmet with full face shield, gloves, and skates while on the ice.
- Must wear helmet with full face shield during games while on the bench.
- May only work with players at least one full playing level down (e.g., a Bantam age player may act as a Student Coach at the Pee Wee, Squirt or Mite level. Midget 18U players may student coach Midget 16U teams).
- The organization that is using the Student Coach must provide a form indicating on what team he/she is participating as a Student Coach, and, if applicable, what team he/she is properly registered as a player. (This paperwork is to be available for review at all games along with the regular team roster, etc.)
- Upon reaching the age of 18, the Student Coach must comply with the MAHA Abuse Prevention Screening Program requirements and meet the USA Hockey Coaching Education Program requirements in order to participate as a coach with any team. (In other words-once a student coach reaches the age of majority (18), they are subject to the regular rules governing coaches, and no longer subject to "Student Coach" provisions.
- No more than 4 registered/rostered team officials, including student coaches, will be permitted in the vicinity of the players bench during games. (USA Hockey Playing Rule)